Wednesday, May 20, 2009

We're gonna homeschool!

Well, it's official.

I've enlisted both my school-aged children to do their schooling at home!
We have enrolled and been approved in the South Carolina Virtual Charter School (SCVCS) which is a part of the K12 program. K12 is a program that involves private and public schooling options for children across the nation.

SCVCS is one of K12's online public schools. What this means is that my children are going to be going to school right in our own home! Tuition is free, books and materials are free. The only costs are those that normally occur when a child is enrolled in a public school.

A teacher will be assigned to my children to guide and instruct them via the internet, phone or even face-to-face if needed. I am going to be their learning coach--I will guide them and keep them on track along with keeping up with their attendance. (They are required to keep the same attendance as children in normal brick-and-mortar public schools.)

SCVCS will be shipping all their books and materials to us by the middle of July. I can't wait to get all the stuff and dig into it!

I am super excited to get started with their schooling in August of this year!

Now, we've just got to work on priorities and a schedule to keep us on track...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That sounds like a really neat program. I've never heard of it before. Let me know how it goes. I've actually tossed around the idea of homeschooling Micah for a few years, but haven't totally decided. It's just something I think about periodically since he is growing up to fast!!!

    P. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete